1.This organization shall be known as the What Lies Beyond Jeep Club of MI (Herein after referred to as What Lies Beyond)
- What Lies Beyond is organized as a non- profit organization for the purpose of:
- Providing social, educational, and recreational activities for its membership.
- Participating in and supporting civic and environmental activities for the betterment of the community.
- To promote the sport and pastime of four-wheel drive travel in all phases.
- To enjoy and protect the natural resources and support the multiple use principle as it applies to public lands.
- To promote interest in and ownership and driving of Jeep™ brand vehicles.
- To promote, organize and hold outings, meetings, runs, excursions, reliability trials, hill climbs, out of state and similar events.
- To offer awards and prizes for various accomplishments of the persons of the club.
Membership and Dues
1. Anyone with a Jeep Brand Vehicle in their household is eligible for membership in What Lies Beyond.
2. Each membership includes the immediate family, however, voting power is restricted to one vote per dues paying member eighteen years of age and over. Families can choose to pay an additional fee to provide a full membership to a second individual at least 18 years old. This membership will include voting rights, participation in the club points system, and the all other benefits of club membership.
3. All members must conduct themselves in a respectable and orderly fashion whether in or out of Club activities. Any members disgracing themselves in the public eye will be Subject to immediate expulsion from the Club, subject to decision of the Board of Directors.
4. Requirements for membership will be established in the Club’s Standard Operating Procedures.
5. Dues for this organization will be established within the Club’s Standard Operating Procedures. What Lies Beyond is a Roster Club of Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association (GLFWDA). As such, WLB will collect GLFWDA dues from each member along with Club dues annually and submit one check to GLFWDA for the club roster membership. Membership in GLFWDA is required to join WLB.
6. Any board member absent from three consecutive business meetings shall be dropped from the rolls of this organization. The Board of Directors may grant exceptions.
7. All personal expenses such as uniforms, decals, insignia, etc, will be the responsibility of each individual, not the responsibility of the club. Club insignia shall not be used without written permission from the board of directors.
8. Members shall immediately notify a board member of any change of address, mailing address, telephone number, or e-mail address.
10. Resignation of any member shall be in writing and submitted to a board member.
11. When a member no longer possesses a Jeep™ brand vehicle in their household, their membership in this organization may be terminated by a vote of the Board of Directors.
12. Nobody is or will be allowed to sell, trade or barter with the personal information of any club member without written a majority vote.
1. Members who adopt and sign the By-Laws of the Club on or before September 30th 2006 shall be known as Charter Members of What Lies Beyond.
1.Meetings of the membership of What Lies Beyond shall be held monthly at such times and places as designated by the Board of Directors.
2. The members present at a monthly meeting as scheduled by the BOD shall constitute a quorum for any votes taken by the club
3. Any meeting of the Board of Directors will be announced no less than 14 days in advance.
Administration of Officers
1. The officers of What Lies Beyond shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, and shall be known as the Executive Committee. It shall be their duty to draw up agenda for all board and business meetings, and it shall be their further duty to assume the functions of the Board of Directors in cases of emergency.
2. The Board of Directors shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee, and two directors elected by the membership. Each director shall be assigned one or more committees and it shall be their duty to represent such committees on the board. Further duties of the Directors shall be to oversee club business; to take such actions as might fulfill the aims of this organization, and to audit the books of the previous administration. The Board of Directors shall meet as required by the business of the club but at least once annually.
3. No officer shall be added to the club except by the vote of the majority of the entire membership of the club.
4. Special posts may be provided, as needed to advise and support the administration, based on membership consent (quorum vote) and Board approval.
Duties and Powers of Officers
1. The PRESIDENT shall preside over all membership and board meetings and be present at all events when possible. He/She shall be the executive officer and shall have the duty to carry out all the policies and decisions of the Board of Directors.
2. The VICE PRESIDENT shall, in the absence of the President, serve in that capacity. and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
3. The SECRETARY shall keep and preserve all records and minutes of the meetings of the regular membership and the ledger, shall keep a file system of membership, and shall receive and answer all general correspondence pertaining to the organization.
4. The TREASURER shall keep accurate and complete records of the funds and accounts of this organization, and shall collect all dues and maintain a record thereof. He shall make only such disbursements from the funds of the organization as are directed by the Board of Directors and Article VIII hereof.
5. The Sergeant-at-Arms shall ensure that club meetings and functions are carried out with appropriate order and decorum. They shall be the Parliamentarian for the club and enforce Robert’s Rules of Order if needed to facilitate club business.
6. What Lies Beyond shall indemnify and hold harmless each person who shall serve at any time hereafter as a director or officer of the organization from and against any and all claims and liabilities to which such person shall become subject by reason of his having heretofore or hereafter been a director or officer of the organization, or by reason of any action alleged to have been heretofore or hereafter taken or omitted by him as such director or officer, and shall reimburse each such person for all legal and other expenses reasonably incurred by him in connection with any such claim or liability. The rights accruing to any person under the foregoing provisions of this section shall not exclude any other right to which he may be lawfully entitled, nor shall anything herein contained restrict the right of the organization to indemnify or reimburse such person in any proper case even though not specifically herein provided for. The organization, it’s directors, officers, employees, and agents shall be fully protected in taking any action or making any payment, or in refusing so to do, in reliance upon the advice of counsel. The Board of Directors shall, within its sound business judgment and discretion, have the power to purchase and maintain insurance on behalf of any person who is or was a director, officer, employee, or agent of the organization, or is or was serving at the request of the organization as a director, officer, employee, or agent of another organization, partnership, joint venture, trust or other enterprise against any liability asserted against him and incurred by him in any such capacity, or arising out of his status as such, whether or not the organization would have the power to indemnify him against such liability.
Expenditures and Finance
1. All monies received from all sources shall immediately be turned over to the Treasurer to be deposited in the checking account of What Lies Beyond.
2. No withdrawal from funds shall be made without the approval of the Board of Directors. Receipts for all monies must be presented within 30 days of receiving said monies. At least two members of the Executive Committee must be listed on the club checking account.
1. The Board of Directors shall designate committees. The President shall assign each committee to a director who shall be responsible for its activities and who, with the approval of the Board of Directors, will appoint a committee chairperson.
Election of Officers
1. The membership shall meet and elect officers and directors for each calendar year at the first monthly business meeting (May meeting). The newly elected officers shall take office at the start of the next month. Voting shall be in person, or absent ballot.
2. Balloting for each office shall be in separate successive sequence and will be held by secret ballot. All ballots for offices must be counted and checked by three members other than nominees. This will be chosen via a draw from a hat.
3. A majority of votes cast is necessary for election to an office on the Board of Directors.
4. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer, an election shall be called to elect a successor.
5. In the event that any candidate stands unopposed for a position on the executive committee or board of directors, a voice vote “in favor” or “opposed” to the candidate may be used in substitution for the secret ballot process.
1. Any officer or director of What Lies Beyond may be recalled by a majority vote of the entire membership.
1. All events shall be subject to the approval by the majority of the members. Events will be under the direction of a possible Trip Leader appointed by the Board of Directors.
2. All events must be conducted in an orderly manner and with safety as the prime factor.
3. Anyone determined to be under the influence of alcohol or mind-altering drugs during any club event is subject to immediate dismissal from the club.
4. All members, including the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, are responsible to the direction of the appointed Trip Leader and his/’her appointed assistants throughout the determined duration of an event.
5. No provisions are to be made to permit any member to join an event at any time or location if that provision decidedly interrupts the designated time schedule or plan for the event.
6. Any events held on private property must have property owner permission, and will be subject to liability releases. We shall receive written permission stating what we are being allowed to do on said property by the property owner.
7. Any member or guest under the age of eighteen (18) must be accompanied by or have written permission of a parent or guardian to drive in any club event. Members must take full responsibility for their guests.
8. All competitive events shall be under the direct authority, supervision, and control of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall determine entrance classifications and regulations for various events and shall approve trophies and awards to be presented. Vehicles may be subject to technical inspection varying according to the type of event and shall be disqualified if found to be mechanically unsafe.
9. All members and guests participating in an event shall abide by the Motor Vehicle Code of the State of Michigan, and by the laws and regulations of the city, the county, or the circumstances involved.
10. During Club Sponsored Trail rides members in good standing may invite as many guests as they would like with approval from the designated trail leader or BOD. Guest vehicles must have tow points front and rear to participate in a WLB trail ride and a CB radio is recommended. Any invited drivers may participate in up to three events in a calendar year. When a given trail ride is particularly popular (i.e. Many vehicles are expected) the Event Coordinator may ask members to refrain from inviting additional guests with their own vehicles. Note: waivers obtained from all guests should be covered elsewhere in the by-laws.
Rules and Procedures
1. Unless otherwise specified, Robert’s Rules of Order (Revised) shall govern parliamentary procedure.
1. These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote at a regular business meeting, a quorum being present and voting. Any amendment to the By-Laws must be presented to the membership at the regular membership meeting preceding that in which the vote is taken.
Elected and effective as of the October 1st 2006.
Standard Operating Procedures:
Requirements for Membership:
- Anyone with a Jeep Brand Vehicle in their household is eligible for membership in What Lies Beyond Jeep Club.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid Driver’s License
- For safety purposes, applicants must have, or being willing to obtain, a CB radio and recovery points on both the front and rear of the vehicle.
- Applicants must attend a total of three club events to be considered for membership in the club. Events may include:
- Monthly Meeting
- Trail Ride organized by WLB with at least three members in attendance
- Trail Maintenance
- Club Picnic or other social event.
- Applicants must be a member of Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association or be willing to joins as outlined in our club dues listed below.
- Applicant must complete an application as provided by the Board of Directors
Joining the Club:
Any applicant that is sponsored by a current club member and meets the above listed requirements may be considered for membership in What Lies Beyond. Membership will be accepted or rejected by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Club Dues for What Lies Beyond will stand at $15 plus the cost of Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association Membership (currently $40). A first time initiation fee of $10 will be collected for which the new member will receive one WLB shirt and two WLB stickers. GLFWDA membership dues will be collected from new members joining within the first six months of our club membership year. Those joining during the last six months of the club year will pay club dues only (and initiation fee) and will have their GLFWDA dues deferred to the next club renewal period.
Elected and effective as of February 7th, 2014.